10 Interesting Facts About Gold
Gold has been used throughout history for many things! The first recorded uses are by the Egyptians in 5000 BC, for jewelry of course. It has always had a monetary value, being “true money”, in much more recent history it has made its way and is a base of our stock market, We invest in it. But here are a couple cool, fun and interesting facts about the precious metal.
- Our hair, contains traces of Gold! Before you go ahead and shave, let me explain. Human hair contain fragment amount of 14 distinct elements, inclusive of zinc, copper and manganese. Also in the hair shafts exists nanoparticles of gold.
- Gold is Edible. Now we can not go and take a bite out of a bar, mostly because we might break some teeth! Gold tho is non-toxic, Gold flakes may be eaten in Foods or drinks. Lately I have seen donuts covered in Gold flakes, they are going for about $100 USD per donut. That’s an expensive snack.
- 78% of the Worlds yearly supply of gold goes directly to jewelry use. Pretty much been like this for all history! The rest goes to electronic, dental & medical uses.
- Gold can be found beneath the earth on all seven continents. Some places are definitely more concentrated, but Gold has been found on all seven continents. Lets start digging!
- Presently Olympic Gold metals only contain 1.34% of Gold. The Olympic gold medals awarded in 1912 were made entirely from gold, they got the Gold!
- Aurophobia is the fear of Gold. This is a weird one, fear of Gold?
- Gold is mentioned in the Holy Bible more than 400 times, including specific instructions from God to cover furniture in the tabernacle with “pure gold.” Gold is also mentioned as one of the gifts of the Magi.
- The Greeks thought that gold was a heavy solution of water and sunlight. Very creative!
- Alchemists believe they can change ordinary elements, such as lead, into gold. Where can I learn this trick?
- The Aztec word for gold, "teocuitatl," was translated meaning "excrement of the gods.”
- Mclaren F1 engines are built with gold parts. This is very cool!
- One - ounce gold nugget is more rare to find than a five carat diamond.
- Scientists believe that gold can be found on Mars, Mercury, and Venus. Out of this world business venture.
- In 2007, Canada made a 100 kilogram (3,217 troy ounce), 0.99999 gold coin with a face value of $1,000,000. This coin was actually on display in a German museum, and was recently stolen in a heist.
- Around 161,000 tons of gold have been mined by humans. Yet it is believed that about 80% of the worlds gold is still underground!